"I'm strong and fierce, I know what I'm about"


[Abigail Langi & Sulia Matagi cousins and best friends forever]

A couple of months ago I had asked my beautiful and talented niece Abigail Langi if she would be willing to write a poem about the H.Y.P.E. Movement and what it represents for her! She loves to write poetry, short stories, and expression pieces! I was so impressed with the poem she wrote, which she entitled "Helping Youth Pursue Emancipation"!

She is only 12 years old, but already understands the potential of the movement and the possibilities it holds for her and other young people like herself.

This past weekend she was able to recite her poem at the Many Islands Open Mic!

Check it out on the video below!

Awesome job Abby, I am so proud of you!!!



Abby also sang a song that night after reciting her poem!



Helping Youth Pursue Emancipation
By: Abigail Mohelata Langi

Can you hear me out there?
No, can you really hear me out there?
Do see me standing in front of you?
Cause I see you
Do you see the things that are happening in this world?
It doesn't matter if your a boy or a girl
If your hair is straight or you have curls

Is it just me?
Don't you see it.........
The kids that die, the ones that suffer
The people making bad decisions
And hurting one another
Based on things they see everday.....
Based on the lives that have gone a stray
Whether it's right or if it's wrong
Such a sad tune; an endless song.

Just because the color of my skin
Doesn't mean that I shouldn't win
I have a dream
That I'm gonna be somebody
I have the potential
That lies in EVERYBODY,
The freedom to think
And speak my mind
I'm letting go,
One step at a time....

It's hard sometimes,
Without a doubt
But I'm strong and I'm fierce
I know what I'm about
My pride,
My glory
Pushes me right through it
Gives me the right
And the power to do it

What are we waiting for?
Lets make a difference, it starts today
Emancipate our mind, our thoughts
It's time to make a change!

"GET ON THE H.Y.P.E"

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

0 Comments: